In a dramatic courtroom scene that highlighted the intense pressures within the K-pop industry, former ADOR CEO Min Hee Jin delivered an emotional testimony about the psychological strain she endured during her dispute with entertainment giant HYBE. The visibly shaken executive spoke openly about the mental anguish that led to her departure and the ongoing legal battle worth approximately 26 billion KRW (17.8 million USD).
Emotional Courtroom Breakdown
On November 27, the Seoul Central District Court Civil Division 31, presided over by Judge Nam In Soo, conducted the third hearing concerning the validity of Min Hee Jin's shareholder agreement termination with HYBE and the subsequent put option payment lawsuit. Min appeared in person, showing visible emotion throughout her testimony.
"I was in severe psychological distress and had no choice but to leave," Min revealed, her voice trembling. "It is infuriating and agonising that people would bring up money in a situation like this." She expressed confidence in her abilities, stating, "I was confident that I could make NewJeans a global group. I did nothing wrong, so I cannot understand why others have to be harmed because of this."
Addressing Allegations and Copying Claims
Min firmly denied allegations that she instructed NewJeans member Hanni to attend the National Assembly audit. "The NewJeans girls are very smart. They are not children who act only when someone tells them to. It is insulting," she asserted. Regarding her alleged pressure on Hanni, Min clarified, "I never pressured her. I only felt sorry that Hanni went alone, and I simply wished I could have gone with her."
When questioned about tampering allegations, Min responded defiantly: "I do not know if I am expected to respond to every article published by media outlets that are closely aligned with HYBE." She added, "Just because I did not respond does not mean I have nothing to say. This is all unfair."
The former CEO also addressed the sensitive issue of ILLIT allegedly copying NewJeans' concept. "The parents of the NewJeans members were the first to complain," she revealed. "They contacted me and asked why their child was not included." Min described the situation as "extremely disrespectful," noting that she even emailed HYBE Chairman Bang Si Hyuk directly, asking "if he had brought me into the company for the purpose of copying my work."
Recruitment and Sudden Dismissal
Min provided new details about her recruitment by Bang Si Hyuk, explaining that she had resigned from SM Entertainment on December 31, 2018. "Two days later, on January 2, 2019, Bang contacted me directly," she testified. "He told me that he learned about my resignation through an insider at SM. He repeatedly said that he wanted to create a girl group properly again and that he needed me."
In a surprising revelation, Min disclosed that Bang Si Hyuk requested to speak directly with her parents. According to her testimony, he told them, "I want to help your daughter succeed. I sincerely hope she will join our company."
Min strongly criticized the process behind her removal last year, stating, "I managed everything transparently, yet I was never told why I was being removed. There was no reason for my dismissal." She explained her decision to step down: "I reached my limit. I was under extreme mental strain and therefore stepped down from the board and exercised my put option."
Legal Battle and Future Proceedings
The put option exercised by Min is valued at approximately 26 billion KRW (about 17.8 million USD), forming the core of the legal dispute. Min's legal team argues that HYBE's termination notice is invalid and that the option, exercised before that notice, should remain legally binding.
HYBE maintains that the shareholder agreement ended in July and that the put option carries no legal effect. In a related development, the court has acknowledged the admissibility of some KakaoTalk records in the NewJeans exclusive contract dispute, which observers believe could influence the outcome of the put option lawsuit.
The court has scheduled the final hearing for December 18, with a ruling expected early next year. This case represents one of the most significant legal battles in K-pop history, highlighting the intense pressures and complex relationships within the industry.