London School Stabbing: 13-Year-Old Suspect Arrested After Attack Leaves Two Pupils Critical
A horrifying stabbing attack unfolded at Kingsbury High School in Brent, north-west London, on Tuesday, leaving two young pupils in a life-threatening condition in hospital. Police are investigating the incident as a suspected ideologically motivated attack, with counter-terrorism officers taking the lead in the inquiry.
Classroom Horror Unfolds Just Before Lunch
Witnesses described a scene of terror as a 13-year-old teenager pulled out a knife in the middle of a classroom just before lunchtime. According to reports, the attacker stabbed a 13-year-old boy in the neck and back while shouting "Allahu Akbar". Seconds later, a second boy aged 12 was stabbed in front of screaming children who initially thought the victims were just playing on the floor.
"They didn't get up. It's awful," said the father of one pupil who witnessed the attack. "My son saw him stab a child in the neck."
Rapid Police Response and Arrest
Armed police raced to the school following the attack, but the suspect had already fled the scene. Approximately one hour later, officers arrested a 13-year-old suspect on suspicion of attempted murder after finding him hiding nearby. Police also recovered a weapon believed to have been used in the stabbing.
Detective Chief Superintendent Luke Williams stated: "The suspect, who we believe to be 13, left the scene following the stabbing. After urgent inquiries, our officers arrested him and also recovered a weapon which we believe to have been used in the stabbing."
School Security Questions and Investigation
Sources revealed that the suspect was not a pupil at Kingsbury High School, raising serious questions about how he managed to enter the school building with a concealed weapon. The incident has prompted concerns about school security protocols and access control measures.
Scotland Yard confirmed that counter-terrorism police are leading the investigation amid suspicions that this was an ideologically motivated attack. However, police have yet to formally declare the stabbings as a terrorist incident as officers continued carrying out searches related to the suspect on Tuesday night.
Trauma and Aftermath for School Community
The attack has left the entire school community deeply traumatized. Many pupils who witnessed the horrific incident were held in the school hall for several hours while police conducted their initial inquiries. Parents described children being "traumatized" and fearful about returning to school.
A woman whose sister was in the classroom next door during the attack said: "They heard screaming and crying. My brother was really scared to go back to school. How can you after a stabbing?"
Local resident Maeve O'Callaghan-Harrington described hearing children sobbing as they left school with their parents. "I walked outside and heard one boy saying, 'Mummy, Mummy, it was in his neck'," she recounted.
Official Responses and Support
Kingsbury High School headteacher Alex Thomas acknowledged the profound impact of the incident, stating: "This has been a deeply traumatic event for the whole school community. We are working closely with the authorities."
Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood expressed her thoughts and prayers for the two victims and their families, adding: "The police have arrested the suspect, and I would like to thank them for their rapid work in doing so. We must now give them the space to pursue their investigation."
Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson added her voice to the chorus of concern, saying: "I am heartbroken to hear about the stabbings at a school in Brent."
As the investigation continues, police maintain they are "keeping an open mind as to any motivation behind the attack" while focusing on supporting the victims, their families, and the traumatized school community during this difficult time.