The final hours before NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was hospitalized are now becoming clearer after new details from a 911 call were released. According to audio obtained by PEOPLE, emergency services were called on Wednesday, May 20, after Busch reportedly began coughing up blood and having trouble breathing at a training facility in Concord, North Carolina. The caller told dispatchers that Busch felt extremely hot, short of breath, and believed he might pass out. He was later taken to a hospital, where he died on Thursday, May 21, at the age of 41.
The newly released audio has shocked racing fans because Busch was still competing just days earlier. The two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion had recently spoken openly about ongoing breathing problems after races. PEOPLE first reported details from the 911 audio, while TMZ and the New York Post also shared information from the emergency call. Earlier reports from the Associated Press said Busch had been found unresponsive inside a Chevrolet racing simulator before being rushed for treatment.
Kyle Busch Had Spoken About Health Problems Days Before His Death
What makes the situation even more heartbreaking is that Kyle Busch had already been dealing with health issues in recent weeks. After winning the 2026 Ecosave 200 at Dover Motor Speedway on May 15, Busch admitted he was still struggling physically.
“I’m still not great. The cough was pretty substantial last week,” Busch said in a video shared by The Athletic reporter Jeff Gluck. Just days before that, Busch reportedly asked for medical help after finishing eighth at Watkins Glen International. During team radio communication, he requested that a doctor meet him after the race.
“Can somebody try to find Bill Heisel? He’s the Kindred doctor guy. Tell him I need him after the race, please,” Busch said over the radio. He later added, “I’m gonna need a shot.”
Busch had been expected to compete in two races during NASCAR’s North Carolina weekend, including the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series event and the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. However, his family announced earlier on Thursday that he was receiving treatment and would miss both races.
Hours later, NASCAR, Richard Childress Racing, and the Busch family confirmed the devastating news together.
“On behalf of the Busch family, everyone at Richard Childress Racing and all of NASCAR, we are devastated to announce the sudden and tragic passing of Kyle Busch,” the joint statement read.
The statement also praised Busch’s long racing career and the impact he had on younger drivers and NASCAR fans across the country.



