Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn Welterweight Title Fight Set for September 12 in Las Vegas
Ryan Garcia vs Conor Benn Welterweight Title Fight Set for Sept 12

Ryan Garcia has officially confirmed a blockbuster welterweight title showdown against Conor Benn, scheduled for September 12 in Las Vegas. The fight will mark the first defense of Garcia's WBC welterweight championship, which he captured earlier this year. Garcia revealed the news during an appearance on "The Tonight Show," where he hinted that his next opponent came "from across the pond" before naming Benn as the challenger.

Rivalry Heats Up

The announcement immediately generated excitement across the boxing world due to the growing tension between both fighters over the past two years. Garcia explained that the rivalry became personal after an uncomfortable encounter with Benn at an awards event years ago. The American star promised to dominate the British challenger when they finally meet in the ring. With both fighters known for their aggressive styles and outspoken personalities, the upcoming clash is already being viewed as one of the biggest boxing events of the year.

Garcia's Path to the Title

Ryan Garcia enters the fight with strong momentum after defeating Mario Barrios by unanimous decision in February to become the WBC welterweight champion. The 27-year-old dropped Barrios early in the fight and controlled the contest from start to finish. Since winning the title, Garcia has repeatedly called for major fights against top-level opponents, and Benn quickly emerged as the leading contender.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Personal Motivation

During his television appearance, Garcia said Conor Benn had been speaking aggressively about him for some time. He also recalled an incident from an awards ceremony where Benn allegedly grabbed him during a tense interaction. Garcia stated that the memory stayed with him and added extra motivation heading into the bout. He confidently predicted that he would overpower Benn, believing he can send him back home disappointed after the fight.

Benn's Rise to Contender

Benn comes into the contest after rebuilding his career with several high-profile victories. The British boxer recently defeated Regis Prograis by unanimous decision after previously splitting two intense fights with Chris Eubank Jr. at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. Those performances helped Benn secure the No. 1 contender position for Garcia's WBC title.

Benn's Perspective

Speaking recently, Benn made it clear that Garcia remained his preferred target, but he also stressed that several other elite names were interested in fighting him. He said that he worked hard to become the mandatory challenger and hoped the title fight would move forward soon.

Stay updated with the latest sports news and boxing updates. Follow the schedule and track the race for top rankings.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration