The United States indictment of Raúl Castro over the 1996 shooting down of civilian aircraft has significantly heightened tensions between Washington and Havana. Some analysts caution that this legal action could push the two Cold War-era rivals closer to open conflict.
Charges Announced in Miami
The charges against the 94-year-old former Cuban president were unveiled this week in Miami, where Cuban exile groups celebrated the decision as long-awaited justice for the deaths of four Cuban Americans. These individuals were killed when Cuban fighter jets shot down two planes operated by Brothers to the Rescue in 1996.
Cuban Perspective
In Cuba, Raúl Castro remains revered by supporters as a key symbol of the communist revolution he helped build alongside his brother, Fidel Castro. “He is the living embodiment of the revolution,” former US diplomat Ricardo Zúñiga told CNN. Zúñiga, who was involved in secret negotiations that restored US-Cuba diplomatic ties during the Obama administration, warned that the indictment could sever communication between the two governments, making tensions more dangerous. “Eventually the frustration on both sides could lead to conflict simply because Washington shuts down communication with the Cuban government through this indictment,” he said.
Timing Amid Crisis
The charges come at a time when Cuba is grappling with one of its worst economic and humanitarian crises in decades. Fuel shortages, food scarcity, and prolonged power cuts have fueled growing frustration across the island. New US sanctions and restrictions have further intensified pressure on Havana.
Trump's Stance
US President Donald Trump has recently criticized Cuba’s government while suggesting openness to a potential deal. “I can (make a deal) whether you change the regime or not. It has been a rough regime and they killed a lot of people,” Trump said on Tuesday. He added, “But it’s a country that really needs help. They can’t turn on the lights, they can’t eat. We don’t want to see that.”
Meanwhile, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, a Cuban-American and longtime critic of the Castro family, has adopted a much harder line, advocating for the removal of Cuba’s current leadership.
Exile Community Reaction
The indictment has energized anti-Castro groups in Miami, many of whom believe Cuba’s communist government is weakening and could eventually collapse under pressure. “The time of the Castros is over,” Cuban-American Congresswoman Maria Elvira Salazar posted on X.
For Cuban exile communities, the 1996 shootdown remains one of the most painful chapters in US-Cuba relations. The Brothers to the Rescue aircraft had been conducting missions related to Cuban refugees and had previously dropped anti-government leaflets over Havana. Cuban authorities insisted at the time that the planes violated Cuban airspace and defended the attack as an act of national sovereignty.
Potential for Confrontation
The indictment could create conditions for a direct confrontation if the US attempts to pursue Castro more aggressively. The charges could theoretically provide a legal basis for extradition efforts or further actions against senior Cuban officials.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel has responded defiantly, accusing Washington of trying to force political change on Cuba. Cuba’s military has increased exercises across the country, and state messaging has warned citizens to prepare for possible aggression, according to CNN. Díaz-Canel has also warned that “a blood bath” would await any invading force.
Analysts' Warnings
Analysts say any military confrontation would carry huge risks, despite Cuba’s weaker military position. Unlike Venezuela, where the US recently increased pressure on Nicolás Maduro’s government, Cuba’s political and military leadership remains tied to the revolutionary system built by Fidel and Raúl Castro over decades.
Even though he officially stepped down from power years ago, Raúl Castro still holds enormous symbolic influence inside Cuba. He is regularly referred to as the leader of the revolution, and senior officials continue to consult him on major decisions.
Zúñiga warned that isolating Cuba’s leadership entirely could make the situation more volatile rather than less. “On the Cuban side by shutting down communication they may fail to appreciate that the next stage here from the US side could be some kind of assault,” he said. He added, “But there isn’t much to destroy that isn’t already decrepit.”



