The full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine, which began on February 24, 2022, continued to escalate on Tuesday as both sides exchanged fresh drone and air strikes, marking the 1,545th day of the war. The conflict shows no signs of abating, with cross-border attacks targeting military and civilian infrastructure alike.
Ukraine Launches Drone Attacks on Russian Regions
Russia’s southern Rostov region and the Yaroslavl region, located northeast of Moscow, came under drone attacks on Tuesday, regional authorities said on Telegram. Yaroslavl Governor Mikhail Yevrayev warned drivers travelling towards Moscow about the threat of drone attacks in the region, which houses key Russian oil refining infrastructure. Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said on Telegram that four drones heading towards the Russian capital had been shot down, adding that emergency services had been deployed.
On Monday, in Russia’s border region of Kursk, a woman was killed and two others were injured in what local authorities described as a Ukrainian attack. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy wrote on X overnight that Russia’s oil refining capacity had declined by 10% over the past few months and that several oil wells had been shut down. “Putin has, of course, built a war chest – but certainly not enough to fight indefinitely. Every one of our responses, every joint step of pressure together with our partners, pushes Russia closer to ending its war,” Zelenskyy wrote.
Russia Targets Ukrainian Cities and Port Infrastructure
Russia, meanwhile, carried out fresh missile and drone attacks on Ukrainian territory in response to recent Ukrainian drone strikes. A Russian air strike damaged port infrastructure in Ukraine’s Izmail city early on Tuesday. Izmail, home to Ukraine’s largest port on the Danube River, is considered a strategic logistics hub and has frequently come under attack during the war. Local officials said on Telegram that port infrastructure facilities were damaged, though most aerial attack weapons had been intercepted. Authorities added that there were no casualties or major destruction.
Efforts to end the war remain stalled, with both sides continuing cross-border strikes and accusing each other of targeting military, civilian, and energy infrastructure. The international community has repeatedly called for a ceasefire, but no concrete progress has been made.
Is There Any End to the War?
More than four years after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine began, the conflict continues with no clear path to peace. UN Secretary-General António Guterres, in a United Nations statement issued on February 23, 2026, wrote, “The longer the war continues, the deadlier it becomes. Civilians bear the brunt of this conflict, with 2025 witnessing the largest number of civilians killed in Ukraine. This is simply unacceptable. I reiterate my call for an immediate, full and unconditional ceasefire as a first step towards a just, lasting and comprehensive peace.”
In 2023, Guterres also told Spanish newspaper El Pais that “both sides are convinced that they can win,” adding that he did not see “any possibility of a comprehensive ceasefire.” As the war enters its fifth year, the humanitarian toll continues to mount, with millions displaced and critical infrastructure destroyed.
The TOI World Desk remains committed to providing accurate and timely updates on this evolving conflict. Our team of seasoned journalists and passionate writers tirelessly sifts through the vast tapestry of global events to bring you the latest news and diverse perspectives round the clock. With an unwavering commitment to accuracy, depth, and timeliness, we strive to keep you informed about the ever-evolving world, delivering a nuanced understanding of international affairs to our readers.



