Adi Kailash and Om Parvat yatra sees surge with over 15,000 tourists since May
Adi Kailash yatra surges with 15,000 tourists since May

Pithoragarh: More than 15,000 tourists have visited Adi Kailash and Om Parvat since the yatra commenced on May 1, with the total number expected to exceed 75,000 this year, officials said on Thursday.

Our initial estimate was 50,000 visitors this year, but now we are expecting it to cross 75,000, said district tourist officer Kirti Arya, attributing the surge in footfall partly to the ultra-marathon held in Gunji on Nov 2 last year. More than 800 people had registered and 680 participated from 22 states, she added.

Local stakeholders are also benefiting from the influx. Tour operator Himanshu Joshi said, Car and taxi operators from Pithoragarh and Munsyari have secured work during the yatra. Homestay owner Madan Gunjiyal said all his rooms and dormitories are fully booked until June 15.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

The administration has capped visits to Adi Kailash and Om Parvat at three days and strengthened medical facilities, including the storage of oxygen cylinders at Gunji. Dharchula SDM Ashish Joshi said, Tourists have been advised to check road and weather conditions at Dharchula before embarking on the journey.

Situated at an elevation of 19,000 feet in the Byas Valley of Dharchula tehsil, Adi Kailash became more accessible after the completion of the Tawaghat–Lipulekh road in 2020. The site gained national attention following Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit in Oct 2023, which drew a sharp rise in tourist numbers. In 2025, more than 36,000 visitors undertook the pilgrimage.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration