NEW DELHI: Multiple key developments unfolded in the Twisha Sharma death case on Friday, with the Madhya Pradesh high court permitting a second post-mortem, accused husband Samarth Singh informing the court that he was willing to surrender, and the state government recommending a CBI probe into the alleged dowry death case. The developments came amid growing scrutiny over the investigation, allegations of lapses raised by Twisha Sharma's family, and fresh questions over alleged phone calls made by mother-in-law Giribala Singh to influential persons and CCTV technicians shortly after Twisha's death.
Twisha Sharma was found hanging at her matrimonial home in Bhopal on May 12. Her family accused husband Samarth Singh and mother-in-law Giribala Singh of dowry harassment and abetment to suicide, while the Singh family has claimed she was struggling with drug addiction. Police have booked her husband Samarth Singh and mother-in-law Giribala Singh on charges of dowry death, cruelty and common intention under the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita and the Dowry Prohibition Act.
Key Developments in the Case
Husband Samarth Singh Taken into Police Custody After Surrender
Jabalpur police on Friday took accused husband Samarth Singh into custody from the district court premises after he reached there to surrender, according to his lawyer. Singh, who had earlier withdrawn his anticipatory bail plea in the Madhya Pradesh High Court, was taken to Omti police station and is likely to be handed over to Bhopal police for further investigation. Earlier in the day, during proceedings before the Madhya Pradesh high court, senior advocate Mrigendra Singh, appearing for Samarth Singh, said his client, the accused husband, wanted to withdraw his anticipatory bail plea and surrender before the trial court, while also requesting that his bail plea be heard on the same day.
However, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the state, opposed the request and argued that Samarth Singh had been absconding and should surrender directly before the investigating officer. "Husband of the victim is absconding… He can surrender before the IO," Mehta submitted. Mehta also argued that the accused had no locus standi in the issue concerning the second post-mortem.
Madhya Pradesh HC Orders Second Post-Mortem
The Madhya Pradesh high court on Friday granted permission for a second post-mortem in the death case of Twisha Sharma. This has to be done at the earliest, the court observed, as quoted by Bar and Bench. Twisha, who was found hanging at her marital home on May 12, had her post-mortem conducted at AIIMS Bhopal. Twisha's family had sought a fresh autopsy by an independent medical board, alleging lapses in the investigation. During the hearing, the bench observed that AIIMS Bhopal did not have facilities to preserve the body for a prolonged period.
MP Government Recommends CBI Probe
In another key development, the Madhya Pradesh government proposed transferring the investigation to the Central Bureau of Investigation and granted consent under Section 6 of the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act for the agency to take over the probe, including any related offences, abetment or conspiracy linked to the case. Welcoming the move, Twisha Sharma's uncle Lokesh Sharma said the government had "taken a step towards justice," though he added that the decision should have come earlier.
Twisha's Family Questions 46 Calls, CCTV Links
Twisha Sharma's family also raised questions over 46 alleged phone calls made by Giribala Singh to judges, IAS and IPS officers, doctors, advocates and CCTV technicians between May 12 and May 14. The family said it was particularly disturbed by alleged calls made to CCTV technicians immediately after the incident, when electronic evidence was crucial to the probe. The controversy intensified after Giribala Singh informed a Bhopal court that eight CCTV cameras installed at her residence had a discrepancy of "two days, two hours and 20 minutes" in timestamps because of improper maintenance. The family urged investigators to examine call detail records, CCTV logs and digital communications linked to the period immediately after Twisha's death.
Giribala Singh Denies Influencing Probe
Responding to the allegations, Giribala Singh denied trying to influence the investigation and said the calls were only related to condolences. "People were calling only to offer condolences. Whatever is being shown in the media is wrong," she told reporters. Explaining the calls to CCTV operators, she said she wanted to understand "what exactly happened" inside the house. Earlier, Madhya Pradesh Police had also issued a Look Out Circular against Samarth Singh and announced a cash reward of Rs 30,000 for information leading to his arrest.



