In a significant development, the controversial Rs 300 crore Mundhwa land deal involving Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar's son Parth remains officially uncancelled, despite the senior Pawar's public announcement of its termination nearly three weeks ago.
Deal Cancellation Process Stalled
Amadea Enterprises, the firm owned by Parth Pawar, has still not formally applied to scrap the massive land deal, according to official sources. Santosh Hingane, Joint District Registrar and Collector of Stamp, confirmed to The Indian Express that the company had initially approached the sub-registrar to explore cancellation possibilities but was informed that the process couldn't be executed on a mere Rs 500 stamp paper as they had hoped.
"They have still not cancelled the deal. After reaching out the first time, Amadea Enterprises has still not approached the sub-registrar to cancel the deal," Hingane stated unequivocally on Tuesday.
Stamp Duty Hearing Scheduled
The situation has taken a new turn with the scheduling of a crucial hearing on December 4 regarding the payment of Rs 21 crore in stamp duty for the executed deal. Officials revealed that Amadea Enterprises has sought 15 days to present their explanation and standpoint on the notice demanding payment.
"Yesterday (Monday), they sought 15 days to explain their stand on the notice regarding the payment of Rs 21 crore stamp duty for executing the deal. We told them to either pay it or submit their view. We have told them we will hold a hearing on December 4," Hingane elaborated.
In a notable development, Amadea Enterprises has engaged legal representation, submitting a list of 10 lawyers to the Inspector General of Registration's office. However, authorities have made it clear that they will hear only one representative during the proceedings.
Financial Implications Mount
The financial stakes continue to escalate for the company involved. According to stamp duty authorities, Amadea Enterprises faces a dual financial burden - they must first pay Rs 21 crore for the signed deal, and if they proceed with cancellation, an additional Rs 21 crore would be required.
Officials disclosed that the company is also accumulating penalties for unpaid stamp duty, with the fine calculated at one percent per month of the outstanding amount. "The amount comes to Rs 21 lakh per month. This means, so far the fine has gone up to over Rs 1 crore," confirmed officials familiar with the matter.
When questioned about deadlines for deal cancellation, officials indicated there is no specific timeframe. "We will take a call after the hearing," they stated, leaving the matter open-ended.
Political Fallout and Committee Probe
The controversy erupted when it emerged that the land in question actually belonged to the government, raising questions about how it came to be part of a private transaction. Following public outcry, Ajit Pawar had announced the deal's cancellation on November 7, asserting that his son and business partners were unaware of the land's government ownership.
"The land belonged to the government. It cannot be sold. Parth and his partner was not aware of this. The probe will bring out the facts," Pawar had stated during his announcement. He also revealed that a committee appointed by the state government would investigate the Rs 300 crore land deal and submit its report within a month.
Interestingly, a committee headed by Joint Inspector General of Registration Rajendra Muthe, which recently submitted its report to the IGR, has not indicted Parth Pawar. The committee clarified that their investigation focused solely on stamp duty evasion and did not include a probe against Pawar personally.
Expert Opinion and Legal Maneuvering
Activist Vijay Kumbhar offered insight into the possible strategy behind the delays, suggesting that the firm might be exploring legal options. "The entire deal is in an uncertain zone. Parth Pawar and his firm will not only have to pay Rs 21 crore for the unpaid stamp duty but they will also have to pay additional Rs 21 crore for getting the deal cancelled. I think they are seeking time to find some way out or some loopholes in the law," Kumbhar observed.
As the December 4 hearing approaches, all eyes remain on how Amadea Enterprises will navigate the complex legal and financial challenges surrounding the controversial land deal that continues to make headlines across Maharashtra.