London Underground commuters may have avoided major disruption this week after planned Tube strikes were suspended, but fresh industrial action has already been announced for next month amid an ongoing dispute between the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and Transport for London (TfL).
The strikes that were scheduled between May 19 and May 22, along with walkouts planned for June 16 and June 18, have now been called off following last-minute talks between the union and TfL. However, the RMT has announced new strike dates for June 2 and June 4 if the dispute remains unresolved, The Independent reported.
New London Tube Strike Dates
The newly announced 24-hour strikes are scheduled for:
- Tuesday, June 2 to Wednesday, June 3
- Thursday, June 4 to Friday, June 5
TfL said disruption is expected from midday on strike days until midday the following day, with commuters likely to face delays and reduced services across large parts of the Tube network.
Which Tube Lines Could Be Affected?
TfL said the strikes are expected to impact the entire London Underground network, although some services may continue operating at reduced capacity. Severe disruption is expected on several lines, while some sections could see complete suspension.
According to TfL, the Elizabeth line, DLR, London Overground, buses and trams are expected to run normally, though they may experience overcrowding due to increased passenger demand.
Why Are Tube Workers Striking?
The dispute centres around TfL's proposal for a voluntary four-day working week for Tube drivers. Under the plan, drivers would work longer shifts across fewer days.
The RMT has opposed the proposal, arguing that longer working hours could lead to fatigue, safety concerns and poorer working conditions for drivers.
An RMT spokesperson said the strikes were suspended after TfL shifted its position during negotiations.
"At the 11th hour the employer has shifted its position, allowing us to further explore our members' concerns around the imposition of new rosters, fatigue and safety issues," the spokesperson said.
"The dispute is not over and more strike action will follow if we fail to make sufficient progress."
TfL Says Changes Are Voluntary
TfL defended the proposal, saying the four-day working week would be optional and aimed at improving work-life balance while increasing service reliability.
Claire Mann, TfL's chief operating officer, said there would be no reduction in contractual hours and drivers who preferred a traditional five-day schedule would still be able to continue with it.
TfL also maintained that no changes compromising passenger safety would ever be introduced.
Previous Tube Strikes Caused Major Disruption
Last month's Tube strikes led to severe crowding across buses and parts of the London Overground network, while commuters increasingly relied on taxis, bicycles and e-bikes to travel across the capital.
Small businesses near key stations, including Liverpool Street, also reported a sharp drop in customer footfall during the industrial action.



