Nashik Civic Body's Deadstock Water Project Stalled Due to Election Code
Nashik Deadstock Water Project Stalled by Election Code

The Nashik Municipal Corporation (NMC) has completed a technical survey to tap nearly 600 million cubic feet (mcft) of deadstock water from the Gangapur dam, but the project has been put on hold due to the model code of conduct in force for the June 18 Nashik MLC elections.

Survey Details and Project Scope

According to the survey, NMC will need to excavate a 590-metre trench by breaking through a rock barrier located between the NMC’s jackwell, the point from which water is drawn, and the trapped deadstock reserves. The project is estimated to cost around Rs 14.5 crore.

Civic officials said a project management consultancy firm was engaged to conduct the study, assess the precise distance between the jackwell and the deadstock and evaluate technical challenges like the size and structure of rock formations. The agency has since submitted its report after completing fieldwork.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Election Code Delays Approval

Further progress has, however, been stalled as the proposal required approval from the NMC’s general body, which cannot be convened till the election process concludes. “The poll code, in force till June 22, has effectively delayed procedural clearances needed to initiate the project,” an official said.

Urgency for Water Security

The initiative gained urgency amid concerns of a weak monsoon this year due to El Niño conditions, as well as the need to ensure sufficient water supply ahead of the 2027 Simhastha Kumbh Mela. The city is preparing for three major Amrit Snan days scheduled between August and September next year, when water demand is expected to surge significantly.

“Tapping the deadstock water could provide a critical buffer during peak summer months and large religious gatherings. Accessing this untapped reserve will help manage supply during high-demand periods,” another civic official said, adding that the additional 600 mcft could prove vital if monsoon conditions remained weak during the Kumbh Mela.

Background and Water Sources

The project was initially planned for 2025 but was deferred after the early arrival of monsoon last year, with rains beginning in the first week of May and continuing till mid-October.

The Gangapur dam remains Nashik’s primary water source, meeting nearly 80% of the city’s requirements. The remaining supply comes from the Mukane and Darna dams. At present, NMC supplies about 21 mcft of water daily, including 15 mcft from Gangapur and 6 mcft from the other two reservoirs.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration