Supreme Court Orders Judicial Custody for Noida Protest Accused Till Further Orders
SC Orders Judicial Custody for Noida Protest Accused

The Supreme Court on Tuesday ordered that Aditya Anand and Rupesh Roy, arrested in connection with the Noida labourers' protest of April 13, will remain in judicial custody until further orders. The bench, comprising Justices BV Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan, was hearing a petition filed by Aditya's brother, Keshaw Anand, alleging custodial torture and seeking protection from any further police remand.

Court's Interaction with Accused

On Monday, the court had asked the police to ensure both men were produced before it. On Tuesday, the bench spoke directly to the two accused, inquiring about their treatment in custody. After hearing the parties, the court stated, 'We have heard senior counsel for the parties. Pending further consideration of the matter, we direct the judicial custody of the two persons, Aditya Anand and Rupesh Roy, to continue.' The case is scheduled for the next hearing on July 21.

Petitioner's Concerns

The petition sought relief against the possibility of the two men being taken again into police custody, alleging they had already been physically tortured. During the hearing, the bench also instructed them to cooperate with the investigation. According to the petitioner's counsel, Manik Gupta, the immediate concern was to prevent any fresh police remand by the Uttar Pradesh or Haryana Police while their bail plea remains pending before a Surajpur court. 'Our bail application is pending before Surajpur court. But in the meantime, there were chances of UP and Haryana Police taking them on remand and the same custodial torture would have continued. But since they have been ordered to remain in judicial custody, our concern is addressed,' he said.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Allegations of Torture

Before the bench, Aditya described what happened after his arrest in Trichy and during police remand. He stated that he was present at the protest site on April 10 and 11, where he administered an oath to workers that the protest would remain peaceful. He also told the court that police took him blindfolded to bushes and asked him to pick up items as directed. Aditya further said that more than 150 Noida workers were still lodged in Luksar jail, including two minors. When asked about their occupations, Aditya said he is a software engineer, and Rupesh said he is an auto-rickshaw driver.

Demand for CBI Inquiry

Senior lawyer Colin Gonsalves, appearing for the petitioner, sought an independent CBI inquiry into the police action. Gupta also informed the court that Aditya's mandatory medical examination, conducted at 3 pm on April 30 after police remand ended, recorded 'injury on his left forearm and swelling in the middle finger,' which he argued indicated physical torture in custody.

Another Accused Under NSA

In a separate mention, advocate Shahrukh Alam raised the arrest of another accused, Satyam Verma, and the use of the National Security Act against him. The lawyer said Satyam was arrested in three FIRs and later detained under Section 3 of the NSA, with the grounds alleging he provoked workers through his 'disagreeable ideology' and through the books he reads and articles he writes on labour laws and labour issues. Hearing another petition filed by Shambhari, Satyam's wife, the bench issued notices to the Uttar Pradesh government, state police, and the Centre to file replies. The petitioner alleged that the state government had 'weaponised' police to crush a legitimate workers' protest in favour of corporate entities.

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration